August 24, 2017
If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. Now the overseer is to be… 1 Timothy 3:1 (NIV)
What Paul is about to tell us will help us to maximize our effectiveness for Christ. This applies to any sphere of leadership:
- If you are a Christian, this is for you. The reason these qualities are set out for leaders is that they are the qualities God seeks in every Christian. God looks for this character in leaders because it is his pattern for all, and leaders are called to be an example to others.
- If you lead a team at work, teach a class at school, or if you are captain of a sports team, God has given you the privilege of leading others. That means this is for you.
- If you are a father, this is for you. God has made you an elder in your home.
- If you are young, this is for you. Paul says, “Train yourself to be godly” (4:7). Be intentional about producing the character and competence that will maximize your usefulness to Christ. If you are young, may God give you a strong desire to become the kind of person he can use to make a difference in this world.
- If you are disappointed or discouraged, this is for you. Maybe you are not doing what you wanted to do and you are not where you wanted to be. You would like a “do over.” Christ came to redeem, to restore what was lost. 1 Timothy 3 can be your future, even if it has not been your past. Look at where God’s grace can bring you. See what his redeeming love can do in your life.
Which of these applies to you?