Not only is Jesus Christ the Lord, the Savior, the Messiah, the Redeemer, and the King, but he is these things precisely because he is the Son of God.
1. It was the first announcement of who Jesus is.
The angel says to Mary, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God” (Luke 1:35).
2. It was confirmed from heaven at Jesus’ baptism.
A voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased” (Mat. 3:17).
3. It was the focus of Jesus’ first temptation.
The tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread” (Mat. 4:3).
4. It was the first charge brought against Jesus…
The high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God” (Mat. 26:63).
5. …and it was the clear confession of Jesus.
Jesus answered the high priest, “You have said so” (Mat. 26:64).
Reread these bible verses and think about the implications of the identity of Jesus as the Son of God. What is at stake?