A good question in Bible study helps uncover riches in the text that we may not see. This is true for observation, interpretation, and application stages of Bible study.
The following questions¹ will help you apply a passage of Scripture to your life and rely on God for transformation. It may help you to print off the list and tape it inside your Bible (download it below!).
15 Questions to Apply Scripture to Your Life
1. What does this say about God?
2. What does this say about the human condition?
3. What does this say about God’s provision in Christ for the human condition?
4. What response does God want from me?
5. What response does God want from the church?
6. What does it look like for me to believe and obey this Scripture in a genuine, non-superficial way?
7. How can I obey this passage externally but not internally?
8. Is there anything I need to confess?
9. Is there any sin from which I need to repent?
10. How do I need help in believing or heeding this Scripture?
11. What can I be thankful for because of this passage?
12. How can I praise God because of this passage?
13. How can I encourage myself with this passage today?
14. How might I encourage others with this passage today?
15. How does this passage deepen my longing for the return of Christ and the joys of heaven?
A Transformed Life
As you engage these questions, bring your responses to God in prayer, asking for deeper faith and an obedient heart. Faithfully seeking transformation from God’s Word will plant you firmly in truth and lead to great joy and satisfaction in Christ (Psalm 1:3; Psalm 119).
 Questions adapted from Martin Luther’s A Simple Way to Pray, Joe Thorn’s Note to Self, WordPartners’ Dig & Discover Hermeneutical Principles Booklet, and “Keeping Christ Central in Preaching” from Telling the Truth, ed. D.A. Carson. A version of this article first appeared at Anchored in Christ.]
The Bible is so much more than information, it brings transformation! That’s the message of this clip from the free course for leaders titled Watch Your Life. Learn more about our practical ministry training program.