Godliness is an essential pursuit for every Christian. God has wonderful plans to make us more like Christ, but we have work to do as well: “Train yourself for godliness” (1 Timothy 4:7).
Use this list of Bible verses on godliness from the New Testament to motivate you to be God’s man or God’s woman, growing in the fear of God, love for God, and desire for God. (And no, “cleanliness is next to godliness” is not a verse from the Bible!)
Bible Verses on Godliness in the Pastoral Letters
1) 1 Timothy 2:10 – …but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.
2) 1 Timothy 3:16 – Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory.
3–4) 1 Timothy 4:7, 8 – Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
5) 1 Timothy 5:4 – But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God.
6) 1 Timothy 6:3 – If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness…
7) 1 Timothy 6:5 – …and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.
8) 1 Timothy 6:6 – But godliness with contentment is great gain.
9) 1 Timothy 6:11 – But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.
10) 2 Timothy 3:5 – having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.
11) Titus 1:1 – Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness.
12) Titus 2:12 – training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age.
Bible Verses on Godliness in 2 Peter
1) 2 Peter 1:3 – His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence…
2) 2 Peter 1:5-7 – For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.
3) 2 Peter 3:10-11 – The day of the Lord will come like a thief,
and then the heavens will pass away with a roar…
Since all these things are thus to be dissolved,
what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness,
waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God…
Fifteen references to godliness in the New Testament, and twelve of them are in the three short letters of Paul to Timothy and Titus. Why is that important?
These are letters to Christian leaders. While godliness is the calling of all believers, it is of special importance in those who lead. If you are going to lead effectively, you have to walk with God.
If you’d like to learn more about growing in godliness as a Christian, enroll in the free Christian leadership program called Open the Bible for Leaders. You can sample the first session of Watch Your Life called “Growing in Godliness” below.